Friday, May 14, 2010

Why did I choose Child custody?

I have an exhibition. Our topic is sharing the planet. Since sharing the planet is a big topic, we broke it down into human rights, peace and conflict, sharing finite resources, communities and relationships, rights and responsibilities, and equal opportunities. Then we made our central idea which is "Decisions we make impact our communities". At the start, I was thinking to do racism, but all of those plans changed when I read the article about Craig Morrey in Metropolis(read the story of Spencer and Morrey at my post "Let's be friends"). My teacher and I thought that this is not sharing the planet. And I tried to connect it with our central idea, and I wondered how the laws can directly impact our community. That is why I decided to do laws and my subtopic is child custody.

1 comment:

  1. Binky,

    I am new to this medium of blogs. Did you write a longer, more comprehensive article on your topic somewhere else?

    I would expect a research paper on child custody to incorporate the ff.:

    1. The situation of children in Japan
    1.1 Facts and statistics
    1.2 The situation of purely Japanese children
    1.3 The situation of children from mixed-race marriages
    1,4 The opinions of Japanese sociologists, social commentarians and lawyers

    2, The legal framework
    2.1 Japanese laws
    2.2 International Law: The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, the Hague Convention on Child Abduction; adherence by Japan?
    2.3 The interaction of foreign laws and jurisdiction vis a vis Japanese laws and customs
    2.4 "The best interests of the child" defined

    3. Specific examples
    3.1 Case study of a typical Japanese custody case, highlighting common issues
    3.2 Case study of a mixed-race custody issue, highlighting intercountry problems

    4. Possible solutions
    4.1 Opinions of Japanese legal experts
    4.2 Harmonization of Japanese and best international practice
    4.3 The "best interests of the child" redefined

    I have many materials on child law, and I went to The Hague and met the experts on the Hague Conference on Private International Law, based at the Peace Palace in the Dutch capital. I also had a lot of pancakes and Dutch beer, but that's a different story.

    Good luck! Chiffon, Shiroi, Sherbet, Shai, and Shogun send their regards, are enjoying our aircon, and will open a blog soon.

    Tito Joe

    ReplyDelete